TO PREVENT HOUSEBREAKING AND THEFT
- Ensure that all doors, windows and other openings are well
secured with good quality grilles and close shackled padlocks.
- Keep important telephone numbers of the nearest police stations,
police control room, known police officer's and helpful neighbors
handy near the telephone.
- Keep a watch dog at the residence.
- Secure all doors and windows before retiring to bed or when
leaving your house unattended even for a short while.
- Leave a light burning when you go out of town.
- Check all the doors and windows every night before retiring to
ensure that they are properly locked/bolted from inside.
- Install a burglar alarm sensor light and /or closed circuit
surveillance camera to cover the access points into your premises
- Ensure that they are tested periodically and in good working
- Keep large sums of cash in banks and expensive jewellery in
locker in bank.
- If you are going away for a prolonged period, suspend the
newspaper subscription and arrange for someone to clear your mail
and check on your home.
- Install magic eye and safety chains on doors. Look through the
magic eye and ensure the door chain is secure, before opening the
door to a stranger.
- Secure perimeter of the house/office.
- Trim bushes and trees around as these could block the view
- As far as possible, use only one door and lock the rest from
inside. However always provide for an escape door.
- Encourage your friends to telephone prior to an intended visit.
This reduces the number of unexpected callers to the minimum.
- Fix grills on windows and glass panelled doors.
- Keep a light burning in the front door area and on exit points
during the hours of darkness.
- Keep a strict check on the house/office keys. If the key is
lost, have a new lock fitted.
- Inform the police of the presence of suspicious vehicles or
persons near the house or office.
- Know your neighbors well enough so that normal you can watch
each other’s houses.
- Do not encourage servants bring their friends, relatives into
- Treat late callers with suspicion and refuse admittance unless
he/she is known to you. Inform police at once in the event of any
visitor attempting forcible entry.
- Don't allow any stranger to enter your house, when you are alone
without finding out his identity.
- Beware of persons coming to your house under the pretext of
repairing/selling things, conducting meter readings etc.
- Be on the alert for signs of any surveillance since terrorists
generally keep a watch on potential victims for some time before
- Get the verification of domestic help and servant coming to the
house through local police station.